Is there a discernible difference between braces and aligners in orthodontics? Many patients ask dentists this question, as these teeth straightening procedures seem similar.
Aligners can treat orthodontic problems differently than braces. Therefore, which treatment you get will depend on your diagnosis and the condition of your teeth.
This blog provides detailed information on braces versus aligners to help you consider your treatment options.
What Are Braces?
Braces are porcelain or metal oral devices in orthodontics that attach to your teeth, straightening them over time. These devices can use rubber bands or metal wires to force teeth to move into a corrected position while improving dental health.
What Are Aligners?
Dental aligners consist of custom plastic oral devices made to fit a person’s teeth. Each aligner, consisting of invisible resin, grips the affected tooth, applying a cumulative pressure that moves crooked teeth to their final corrected position.
What Is the Difference Between How Braces and Aligners Work in Orthodontics?
Braces consist of brackets and wires that exert constant pressure on the teeth and jaws, changing their position. Brackets hold the wire in place, enabling it to exert pressure on the teeth, eventually moving them into the desired position. Aligners, on the other hand, straighten teeth by leveraging a series of custom-made trays that gradually shift misaligned teeth into position.
Which Orthodontic Treatment Should You Get?
When thinking about which orthodontics treatments are right for you, you’ll need to consider your dental needs.
Before choosing whether to get braces or aligners, you should consider the following factors and decide which orthodontics are best for you:
- Aesthetic Appeal – are you looking for a discrete orthodontic treatment or don’t mind a visible one? The former calls for aligners while you could achieve the latter with braces.
- Comfort – Aligners are generally more comfortable than braces.
- Convenience – How often can you visit your orthodontist for treatment? With Braces, multiple visits are required to ensure the teeth are correctly moving. Aligner appointments are spread over weeks/months depending on your personal treatment plan.
- Cost – What is your budget for treatment? For the most part, braces are more affordable than aligners.
- Speed – Aligners work faster than braces as they apply a cumulative pressure on all the teeth compared to braces.
These factors will enable you to make an informed decision in line with your treatment needs
A beautiful smile is an essential part of your health. At Berwick Dental Clinic and Surgery, our experienced dentists can help you achieve a straight smile with the latest orthodontics treatments.
Contact us today by calling (03) 9707 3227 to schedule an appointment for a high-quality orthodontic consultation that guarantees you a healthy and beautiful smile.